Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Times - Eureka magazine

 

With The Times last weekend came 'Eureka', a magazine that has put together "one of the first ranking of people in science", says the editor, James Harding. Accompanying this science list was 'Prime Numbers', a two page spread of interesting facts and data, recorded on an average per person, per year. I wanted to upload this on my blog because I am someone who has always failed to be inspired and kept on the edge of my seat when it came to talking about science, but this spread is a perfect example of how to get someone like me, interacting with the subject. I also really liked the graphics and the layout, it was very inviting and easy to read, didn't look typically 'sciencey' or perhaps boring, it was just simple and direct and there wasn't one fact that didn't interest me.  

My favorites, on average per person for the year are:

220 plastic bags per adult used, only 1 recycled. 
Dreams - 1,460
Nightmares - 1.5
Laughs - 5,475
Words spoken by a man - 2,600,000
Words spoken by a woman - 7,300,000
Average hangovers at work - 36
Calories consumed - 803,000







No comments:

Post a Comment