Monday, September 27, 2010

Eat Pray Love




Eat Pray Love is the International bestseller by Elizabeth Gilbert and has just been released as a film starring Julia Roberts as the main character. I had heard that this film was being made at the beginning of this year and I was determined to read the book before the movie was released; I finally picked it up whilst on holiday in Greece this summer.
This book was the most difficult thing I have ever had to read and I can safely say it put a downer on a few days of my holiday; I struggled to get just over half way and then couldn't do it anymore and had to abandon it. The main character is a woman who has been through a messy divorce and then quickly rebounded into another relationship which again, ended badly; this story is about her leaving everything behind and travelling around the world trying to find peace in herself. The problem is that she moans everyday about what went wrong, how she can't move on, how someone gave her some advice she knows could help her but she's feeling too sorry for herself to take it...and this seems to become a routine of events every two or three pages. She meets some incredible people on her travels, but none of them are given any part in the story, even if they have been described as having a huge influence in her life, instead it is all about her and these people are meerly mentioned.





I was hoping that this would be a passing phase, as ofcourse, if someone had been through such a lifechanging course of events, your going to be a bit down in the dumps for a while, but in this case, she never got over it and just went round in frustrating circles.
Some of the reviews I read this weekend expressed the same opinion but said that the film was a visual spectacale of places from all over the world; I think if you are going to go and see this film, dont expect her to become your heroine, but go for the many different settings and examples of different cultures as these are said to be breathtaking.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad to hear that this book is so depressing, I too was very keen to the read the book but now I am not so sure! I am still keen to see the film but strange that the trailer does not express her in this light at all but thanks to your blog I will now go with less expectation so hopefully it will be still enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete